Saturday 15 November 2014

Assignment 2: Paper Cutting

17/10/2014 (week 4)
Imani Najwa Binti Nordin (0319405)
Assignment 2 : Paper Cutting

Lecture:
Today Ms Lisa had presented us a small lecture regarding our next assignment which was paper cutting.She had a brief slides to show us.
Brainstorming :


This was one of my first ideas.I've always been grossed out by octopus tentacles but yet somehow  I have grown very fond of how they actually look like.This idea came to mind when I remembered that I've drawn a similar picture of an octopus tentacles holding up a candle.I immediately thought how interesting it would be to actually cut out the details of the tentacles itself on paper.

The story of this square is basically about being lost with no sense of direction.Octopuses mostly live in the dark and are very shy creatures.uThe seldom come out of the box.The lighted candle that the  tentacles are grasping and wrapping itself tightly on to represents a sense of hope.



Its been weeks now and here are some of the photo updates .


This was how the cutouts actually looked like when they were still intact.If you look closely the slim outline of the tentacles are each joint together.


Here is an example of how it would look like if the cutouts were separated to reveal a positive and negative background.


Asymmetrical 
| Candle X Hope |


Symmetrical 
| Struggle |




The Hardest part:

Theres actually alot of complications that I had to go through whiles trying to complete this artwork. Firstly,was the sketch itself.It was pretty tricky how I had to minimise my sketches to a minimum of 4.5 X 4.5 inch.At first I was kind of relief that it was a simple tiny sketch that wouldn't consume much time.However,after a few trials and errors I manage to bring my original sketch to a downsize.I also decided to make some of the pieces actually surpass the border line of the square.As the saying goes,"Think outside the box.".

Secondly ,there was the whole process of figuring out which parts to cut and which to leave out.It actually took awhile to figure things through.I begin practicing which cutouts were best.After all the mind boggling moments I figured it out.It seems to me that it was much easier to trace the outlines of each sketch with a thicker/wider brushed marker and cut those out to make the lines more slim .


Updates soon




No comments:

Post a Comment